Mifepristone present in MTP kit functions by blocking progesterone hormone required for the growth and development of the fetus. The blockage of this hormone leads to the dilation of the cervix leading to the detachment of the placental lining from the uterus resulting in the death of the fetus. Misoprostol present in this kit functions by vigorous contraction of the uterus leading to the expulsion of the dead fetus from the uterus.
Method to administer MTP kit
A female should administer one pill of generic Mifepristone (200mg) along with sufficient amount of water. After a gap of 2-3 days, you should administer four pills of generic Misoprostol (200 mcg each) in a single dose along with an ample amount of water. After a time duration of 14 days, you should visit a nearby doctor for confirming about abortion.
You should store this medicine in a cool and dry place at a room temperature of 250C. This medicine should be kept away from direct heat, light, and moisture.
Contraindications of MTP kit
- In thecase of pregnancy of more than 63 days, this kit should not be used.
- A female having hypersensitivity towards generic Mifepristone and Misoprostol should avoid intake of this medicine.
- In the case of pregnancy outside the uterus , MTP kit should not be used.
Drug interactions of MTP kit
- Azoles anti-fungal such as Ketoconazole, Itraconazole should not be consumed along with this kit as it inhibits the metabolism of this medicine resulting in increased serum level of Mifepristone.
- Anti-convulsant drugs such as Phenytoin, Carbamazepine should not be consumed along with MTP kit as it may induce the metabolism of Mifepristone leading to decreased serum level of Mifepristone.
- If anantacid is consumed concurrently with MTP kit, then it may lead to severe diarrhea and vomiting.
Intake of MTP kit may lead to various undesired ill effects such as changes in your menstrual periods, insomnia, joint pain, swelling in your hands or feet ,diarrhea, blurred vision, loss of appetite, blurred vision, anxiety, dizziness, fever, severe headache, headache, nausea, vomiting,tired feeling and chills.
- You should remove theintra-uterine device before consuming this medicine as it may lead to vaginal infection.
- You should take complete bed rest and consume a healthy and nutritious diet for quicker revival.
- Do not perform physical exercise or lift objects having weight to prevent the stress and pain in the lower pelvic region.
- Avoid performing love making sessions for atleast two weeks after abortion to prevent vaginal infection.