Use of MTP Kit is an easiest medical way to abort a fetus by use of some pills. It is the safer option to terminate an unplanned pregnancy as neither there is any requirement of doctor nor any surgical procedure. Termination can be done at home with no chance of any infection.
How does MTP Kit work?
Mifepristone, an antiprogesterone, binds to the progesterone receptor to block the receptor, thereby inhibiting progesterone from binding. It does not activate a true biologic response to progesterone; it does, however, have both weak anti-glucocorticoid and antiandrogenic activity. Mifepristone also softens and dilates the cervix, causing decidual necrosis (which leads to placental detachment), thereby increasing uterine lining prostaglandin release, increasing uterine contractions, and enhancing uterine sensitivity to administered prostaglandin. Misoprostol, a prostaglandin, binds to myometrial cells to cause strong myometrial contractions leading to the expulsion of tissue. This agent also causes cervical ripening with softening and dilation of the cervix.
How to use MTP Kit?
MTP Kit consists of Mifepristone and Misoprostol as major active medicaments. The MTP Kit contains 5 tablets of which 1 tablet is of Mifepristone 200mg and 4 tablets are of Misoprostol 200mcg. Mifepristone tablet is to be taken on day 1 and Misoprostol tablets are to be taken on the third day as a whole with sufficient quantity of water. On day 14th, visit the nearby doctor for confirming the termination of pregnancy.
However, there are some side effects likely to interfere with the use of MTP kit such as nausea, vomiting, headache, fever and painful bleeding.
There are some precautionary measures to be kept in mind while using MTP kit such as-
- MTP Kit is to be used for terminating the pregnancy of 9 weeks
- Do not use MTP Kit if you have any allergic reaction to the active ingredients Mifepristone and Misoprostol
- Avoid using this kit if you have any cardiac disorder, renal failure, hepatic failure, and malnutrition
- Remove IUD, if any before using MTP Kit
- Avoid using alcohol and tobacco products while using MTP Kit
- Do not use MTP Kit if you are using any blood thickening agents
- Avoid physical intercourse with your partner for about 2 weeks