There are many methods by which an unwanted pregnancy can be prevented, but the most popular method is use of birth control pills as they are safe and reliable. Natural birth control ways educate women to determine the fertile phase (7-10 days) of their menstrual cycle. To evade pregnancy, females should avoid intercourse on fertile days.
Various methods to avoid unwanted pregnancy:
- Oral contraceptive pills: There are different types of oral contraceptive pills, mainly divided in two categories combination pills or pills containing single hormones.
- Contraceptive barrier methods: It is also a method to avoid pregnancy, which works by creating a barrier between the sperm and ova, thus, preventing fertilization.
- Emergency contraceptive pill: These are also termed as morning after pill and should be taken within 72 hours of unprotected physical intimacy.
- IUD: Intrauterine devices also provide protection against pregnancy.
Mircette is a contraceptive pill, which is frequently used by women all over the world to prevent unwanted or early age pregnancy. It is a combination pill as it contains two hormones (estrogen and progesterone).
Mircette is a combination of:-
- Desogestrel (a progestin derivative)
- Ethinyl estradiol (an estrogen derivative)
Ethinyl estradiol prevents the ovulation process (release and maturation of ova) and Desogestrel prevents the attachment of fetus to the womb; modifies the lining of cervix and uterus and creates troubles in the path of sperm to reach an egg.
Mircette pill pack contains 21 active pills (for 3 weeks) with a combination of both the hormones. The 4th week of the pack contains 2 reminder pills with no drug and 5 pills that have a low amount of estrogen. Take one active tablet once daily for consecutive 21 days. After that, keep on taking 1 tablet every day, starting with the 2 reminder tablets and concluding with the 5 estrogen-only tablets.
Start with a new pack immediately after completing the first pack, whether or not you have your period. If you are suffering from breast or uterine cancer or severe blood disorders, then do not take this drug.
Some medications which may also decrease the effectiveness of this drug are anti epileptic drugs and products containing St. John wort. Some herbal products that stimulate certain enzymes like cytochrome P450 3A4 may interact with this drug and progressively reduce its therapeutic effect.
The treatment via this drug is contraindicated in some medical disorders like heart problems, unstable blood pressure, severe migraine and unusual vaginal bleeding, etc.
Some common side effects of Mircette are symptoms of depression and weight gain, nausea, vomiting and vaginal bleeding, headache, breast tenderness, mood changes, etc. These side effects do not last long. Take this medication with caution and regularly to get the best results and avoid pregnancy.
Safety measures of Mircette are-
- If you are more than 35 years old and smoke cigarettes, then take this drug with utmost care. This may increase the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Do not consume this medication if you are already pregnant or breast feeding.
- Use this drug with caution, if you have problems of heart, lipid balance disorders or depression.
- Discard the pack of this dosage form, if you forget to take more than 2 active pills periodically.